In this day and age, it is not uncommon to find houses inundated with electrical gadgets. As such, extension cords have been a popular solution when it comes to ensuring that individuals can charge multiple gadgets at a time. However, despite being convenient, improper use of extension cords can pose the risk of a fire hazard in your home. Here are some tips to ensuring that you are using your extension cords safely.
Do not run your extension cord in a high traffic area
When suing your extension cord, ensure that you are running its length across a high traffic area. This is will pose a tripping hazard and can be dangerous for a number of reasons. For one, you pose the risk of injuring yourself or others. Secondly, when the extension cord is tugged at sharply it could lead to your devices falling onto the floor and breaking. Lastly, if the extension cord is sharply disconnected from the socket, its plug could acquire damage. Always ensure that the extension cord is not in the way when it is in use.
Do not hide your extension cords under rugs
To ensure that their extension cord is not in the way, some individuals may think it would be better to keep them hidden underneath carpets. However, this poses another set of problems. Depending on how frequently the extension cord is being used, it can become susceptible to overheating. The added layer of insulation from the carpet can cause the extension cord to self-combust. Not only does this damage the extension cord, but it also poses the risk of your carpets catching fire. When using your extension cord, always ensure it is on a flat, solid surface and not covered by anything.
Do not mount your extension cord using staples
Some homeowners may opt to secure their extension cords to the wall to ensure that they do not become a tripping hazard. Although keeping them mounted is a good idea, ensure that you do not do this using either staples or nail. The sharp ends of these fasteners could inadvertently puncture the protective layer that insulates the extension cord. Once this layer has been compromised, there is a risk of electricity travelling out of the extension cord and electrocuting someone. Instead, opt for plastic raceway. This is a tube that attaches to your wall and the length of the cord can run through it; hence, keeping it out of sight and out of the way.